Looking at the disassembly again, the reference to main is not there, it
seems to strip it out. If you look at the crt0.S file it has a reference to
it though so I'm slightly confused by why it is removed. From what I
understood the -nodefaultlibs flag only removed default libraries, not
startup code, whereas -nostdlib removed both.

I tried the minrt flag with no luck, exception code is still linked in. Is
it possible the -fno-exceptions flag isn't making it through? It also seems
like i'm getting some cio calls and malloc despite not calling those
functions anywhere...

Also, I've encountered the (known) issue where -ffunction-sections breaks
debugging symbols, is there any change of this being fixed in the future or
is it too obscure?