On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:04:08 +0000
Nicholas Clifton <ni...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hang on - you say that you are getting this message during
> *linking* ? The error message comes from the compiler, not the
> linker, so why is it turning up in the linker's output ?  Do you have
> LTO enabled ?  (If you do, does disabling LTO make the problem go
> away ?)

Yes, The error only happens with -flto enabled, disabling -flto makes
the error disappear.

(but "NOT using -flto" also increases the resulting code size by a quite
significant factor, so that's unfortunately not a solution)

No other optimization flags are needed to reproduce the error. No
linker flags need to be enabled explicitly either.

I could reproduce the issue by simply compiling all files with:

> msp430-elf-gcc -Wall -g -c -O0 -flto file.c -o file.o
(this does not cause any errors)

and then linking them with

> msp430-elf-gcc *.o -o file.elf
(this does cause the errors)

Once the errors start appearing, there are always LOTS of them,
but they always have one of the following forms:

variant 1:

> myfile.c: In function ‘xy’:
> myfile.c:88:1: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this
> configuration; ignored [-Wattributes]
>  }
>  ^

where the error always point to the line with the closing bracket at the
end of a function.
This is repeated for many functions throughout the codebase (hundreds)
but interestingly not all functions used. I could not find out why this
would appear for one function and not for another.

for example I haven't seen this appear at the end of main() {}

variant 2:

> At top level:
> lto1: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration;
> ignored [-Wattributes]
> lto1: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration;
> ignored [-Wattributes]
> lto1: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration;
> ignored [-Wattributes]
> lto1: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration;
> ignored [-Wattributes]
> lto1: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration;
> ignored [-Wattributes]
... (repeated a hundred times)

cheers

Eric