Hi,

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Junio wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps we can do something similar to core.filemode?  Create a file
> >> that we would need to create anyway in "text" mode, and read it back
> >> in "binary" mode to see what stdio did?
> >
> > The problem is that MinGW behaves sanely, i.e. it does not output CRLF
> > but only LF.
>
> Won't that behaviour be viewed rather as "insanely" from majority of
> Windows users?

I think the truth is that CRLF was a mistake.  Nobody wants to take the
blame for it, obviously, but more and more Windows tools just grok LF-only
text.

The question is: what to do with those that cannot grok LF-only text.  I
imagine that the best compromise for now would be to have crlf=true, with
poor souls like Steffen having to set the gitattributes accordingly.

Ciao,
Dscho