Johannes Schindelin:

> I cannot help but wonder what exactly you wanted to achieve with this
> provably bogus statement, other than provoking flames. I hereby
> refuse to insult you for it.

I meant to say that any software that claims to be Windows software
should handle, and produce, CRLF line breaks in text files. Whether it
also supports Unix (LF) or old Mac (CR) line breaks is up to it, but if
it is a Windows program, it should do CRLF, as that is the convention
(inherited from MS-DOS, which inherited it from CP/M).

> > True. And I run git a lot on a Novell disk share, which doesn't exactly
> > help improve the speed either :-)
> Don't do that, then.

I have to. Otherwise the compile server can't see the files (this is
not for the project that at in the start of the thread, this is what I
use to work around that my employer's choice of version control systems
could be better).

> > Windows has CRLF line endings. Just deal with it.
> No, I will not just deal with it.

Me neither, that is why I expect the software to do it for me.

Thinking of text files as a stream of bytes is so 1900s. In the 2000s
we should think of text files as a stream of characters. How these
characters are represented is up to each system that wants it. I see no
problem with storing text files as UTF-32 internally (disk is cheap).

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/