> On March 20, 2020 2:45 PM STEFFAN DIEDRICHSEN <sdiedrich...@me.com> wrote:
>

> Actually, you can do a  window size per bin and an arbitrary spacing of the
> frequencies and create a “true” constant Q SDFT. Somehow, it reminds me on
> the modal synthesis stuff, which can be used to create weird processing.

yeah. there would be no Cooley-Tukey goin' on here. essentially, it's a bank of
resonant filters.  perhaps one could come up with complementary spectral
envelopes in the log(f) scale that would add to 1.  but i dunno if you could
get such a sliding window using truncated IIR filters, so the Fourier Transform
of it looks like one of these complementary spectral envelopes.  if it doesn't,
adding the results of these will not get you perfect reconstruction.

> Regarding Corona: I’m doing home office with a view on my garden. Vermont is
> not the worst place to holed in, right?  How is the supply with TP?

before the crisis onset, we had two 12-roll packages, one hasn't been opened.
i'm not too uncomfortable about provisions.  i haven't yet seen the store yet,
but i might this afternoon (that'll be sobering).  i need to buy some booze.

i live at the mouth of a river into Lake Champlain (44.527966 lat, -73.270829
long).  it's 2-dimensional, but i have a 200 acre natural waterpark in my back
yard.  with the snow cover in the watershed melting, i'll be canoeing in maybe
24 hours or less (and remain within the city limits of the most populous city
in the state.)

but i am pretty concerned about the present thing and i was around for cold
war, Cuban missile crisis, JFK assassination, 1968 (two assassinations, burning
streets, Chicago DNC), U.S. president forced out of office mid-term, 911 and
this is worrisome.  i should have converted my TIAA-CREF retirement investment
from stock to bonds last January.  There's not that much in there, but it looks
like the curves of the markets.

> Steffan
>
> PS.: Did somebody not see the formulas in my post? They were embedded pdfs
> made in Grapher.

i edited it out.

anyway, while i have done this sliding Hann window before, i haven't done it
for a sliding DFT.  but i would be excited to see a good implementation of
constant Q filterbank that is very close to perfect reconstruction if the
modification in the frequency domain is null.  one could make a Hann windowed
DTFT evaluated at a finite number of arbitrary frequencies.  i just wonder if a
sliding Hann window would be best.  but, using a truncated cosine as the
impulse response of the TIIR, whatever shape of the window would have to be a
sum of truncated cosines (plus the constant term).  but you could make a nice
frequency analyzer of log-spaced, constant-Q, filterbanks with a bank of
truncated IIRs and pre-multiplying the input to each filter by e^(-j omega n).
making them add up to a wire is a harder problem.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com