> On May 21, 2020 5:04 PM gm <g...@voxangelica.net> wrote:
>

> I need some possibly quotable real world opinions and experiences on how
> long stuff
> can take to design or develop, especially takeing Hofstadter's Law into
> account
>
> For instance reverberators, hard to estimate, and I dont recall all the
> times I spent exactly
> I tried so many things on different occasions so long ago, improved
> things, disimproved them
> but my estimate is that it takes many months experience (at least) and
> experimenting to come
> to good and really good results.

i think, with these algorithmic reverbs (FDN or Schroeder) you can spend
forever tweeking coefficients.  If it's a convolution reverb, then it needs
really good choice of which space and where the transducer positions are.  you
can tweek those parameters forever.

> Especially if you start with FDNs first and waste a long time on them...
> If you have experience and start from scratch it takes days or weeks to
> refine your design.

think of the FDN as a plate reverb. that's gonna be how they sound.  dense.

they're not rooms.

i dunno, but i think these FDNs might mostly be used as musical effect (like
those reverse reverbs that sound like high hat) and not to make it feel like a
real room somewhere.

> You may however have at some point developed prototypes that you can
> reuse and modify and do not change too much any more.

i can't imagine whom you mean.

> Two years ago or so I posted a kind of non-paper here on "magic numbers
> in reverb design" where I claimed
> having found a "perfect" ratio for allpass delay stage lengths. I could
> never decide if its kind of nonsense or not since
> the method gives quite good results, but I think I used other numbers
> afterwards myself IIRC. I am not even sure at the moment...

i'm sorta uncreative.  i just relate the lengths of the delays by some ratio
and then look for prime numbers.  isn't that what Jot did?  i don't remember.

r b-j r...@audioimagination.com