From: music-dsp-boun...@music.columbia.edu
[mailto:music-dsp-boun...@music.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of gm
Sent: 21. maj 2020 23:04
To: music-dsp@music.columbia.edu
Subject: [music-dsp] the time it takes to design a reverberator and related

I need some possibly quotable real world opinions and experiences on how
long stuff
can take to design or develop, especially takeing Hofstadter's Law into
account

For instance reverberators, hard to estimate, and I dont recall all the
times I spent exactly
I tried so many things on different occasions so long ago, improved
things, disimproved them
but my estimate is that it takes many months experience (at least) and
experimenting to come
to good and really good results.
Especially if you start with FDNs first and waste a long time on them...
If you have experience and start from scratch it takes days or weeks to
refine your design.

You may however have at some point developed prototypes that you can
reuse and modify and do not change too much any more.

Two years ago or so I posted a kind of non-paper here on "magic numbers
in reverb design" where I claimed
having found a "perfect" ratio for allpass delay stage lengths. I could
never decide if its kind of nonsense or not since
the method gives quite good results, but I think I used other numbers
afterwards myself IIRC. I am not even sure at the moment...

Does anybody recall that paper and did anybody ever try and remember the
results?
Did it speed developement up for you? Did it make any sense to you at
all (its written in a weird way)?

Would you call a good reverb algorithm a piece of art?

Since the process can take so eratically long, and since you can go back
and forth many times,
what do you think a reasonable time estimate would be? How much time
would you charge for that reverb, reasonably?

How and when do you decide it's finished and that you don't change
parameters any more?

How many times and for how long did you try to make "the most efficient
reverberator you can get away with"?
Did you ever succeed in that quest?

Do you think there is something like a "most reasonable" reverb design?