I'd say it's definitely at Art, notwithstanding the hard
engineering skills needed to accomplish it.

In any task, ask yourself where the skilled human work is located.
The work in this case is _listening_. A great reverb has to
work with a wide range of instruments, to flatter the
different transients, sustained timbres and spectral
morphologies of performance. That can mean hours of tweaking
values and careful aesthetic evaluation.

Of course there are shortcuts and powerful tools to employ.
These days we can go from impulse responses to geometric
topologies and then to parametric models ... but there's
still work in selecting rooms to sample, and selecting what
features of that space are of interest... that's hard aesthetic
work.

Following my colleague Nikolay Georgiev was an eye opener;
the way he researches spaces, abandoned mines, remote
cathedrals in Eastern Europe.. the work that goes into this
is comparable with a film location director, including a
detailed knowledge of materials science, architecture.
Not to mention the travel costs and hazardous recording
adventures. And those impulses are just the raw materials
for the algorithms he then uses to create plugins.

Sometimes you get lucky with a mathematical insight - like the
Fibonacci reverbs I stumbled upon many years ago... but
most of it is bloody hard work comparable with any serious
sound design... so I would not uner-rate it.

A problem that we face in technological arts is that work
is devalued by "managerial types", for whom technology is
a kind of disposable magic - being surrounded every day
by miraculous accomplishments built on the shoulders
of giants engenders a cavalier nonchalance for skills
which are the products of decades of study and experience.
So called "AI" is only going to make this worse.

As Martin says, the goals are everything... why bother to
create a reverb by careful design when you can shove a few
random prime numbers into a delay lattice and 99% of people
won;t notice the difference?

good health to you all,
Andy