Derek --

...and then Derek D. Martin said...
% On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 09:41:33PM -0400, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > I think that Brendan answered my question on this long ago, but it's my
% > understanding that the IMAP server decides whether to mark the message
% > 'O'ld or not and that mutt has nothing to do with it and can't fix it
% > like we'd like -- and that the spec is for the server to change it thus,
% > so either I misremembered the performance on my box or the SysAdmin
% > upgraded the IMAP server to one (or a version of the same) that no longer
% > failed to implement that standard.
%
% That doesn't seem to be the case -- I unset mark_old and it does
% indeed not mark the messages old.

Hey, cool.  That may not help you, but it's enormously helpful for me :-)

What IMAP server are you using?  I wonder if, in this respect, they are
different.

%
% This does not fix my problem though, because mutt for some reason
% doesn't realize that the folder still has new mail in it, unless I
% actually exit mutt and restart it.

Oh, now that's a new wrinkle.  Hmmm...  What if you change to a local
folder (thus breaking your IMAP connection, I should think) and then
back?

%
% Oh well.

Best of luck :-)

%
%
% > % mailers, such as netscape for example, behave in this way; i.e. there
% > % is no differentiation between new mail and old unread mail.
% >
% > Even with IMAP?  Hmmm...
%
% Definitely.

So I see.  Now to go back and try IMAP for my purposes...

%
% --
% Derek Martin          |   Unix/Linux geek
% [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |   GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
% Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP signature