On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:30:53AM +0800, Charles Jie wrote:

> After reading Cliff's post and mutt's manual, I am not sure whether
> Disposition-Notification-To: will do what I want.

I've read all the other arguments about whether read-receipts are a
good thing.  Whether they are or not they are sometimes required.
At one time my boss (who runs Pegasus mail) was wanting read
receipts from every project member when he was sending out meeting
notifications.  That way if someone didn't show up for a meeting he
would know that they at least got the message.

Fortunately, mutt is flexible enough to handle what I wanted to do.
I wasn't about to change mailers (and operating systems!) just to
send a read receipt for a stupid meeting notice.  I solved the
problem by having mutt pipe the message across a perl script just
before displaying it in the pager.  If a header line exists in the
message that asks for a receipt then the script prompts me to see
whether I actually want to send the receipt.  If I answer yes then
it will fire off the receipt and store the message id someplace so
that it won't prompt me for a receipt if I read the same message
again.  Once you know the proper header line you can respond to any
mailer that asks for a read-receipt.  It's up to you whether you
actually want to send the receipt or not.  The delay during the
piping operation is so short that it's not really even noticable.

I'll be happy to send you my script if you think it would help you
out.

--
Chris          Linux is the answer.  Now, what was your question?