On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 09:32, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:12:15PM +0100, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
>  Certainly, on a machine where you do not allow possibly
> > "aggressive" users, I'm quite sure mktemp() is quite all right.
> [...]
>
> I have not taken a look at the code, but assuming that newsx does not
> run on systems with "aggressive" users sounds wrong to me.

It is.

My remark was in response to whether the preliminary fix would be
suitable for a particular machine.

A fix for general use "requires further analysis".

> BTW quoting mkstemp(3)
> |  Don't  use  this function, use tmpfile(3) instead. It's better
> |  defined and more portable.

OK, quoting my tmpnam(3), it says:

  Never use this function. Use mkstemp(3) instead.

Still confused: If you have a look at tmpfile(3), you'll notice that:

  The  standard  does  not specify the directory that tmpfile() will
  use.

Wow.

For spooling of news, the entire point of the exercise is to place the
file in a specific directory.

The "quick" remarks under BUGS and NOTES are just that, quick remarks.
They make a number of assumptions that does not necessarily apply for
any given situation at all.

Conclusion: I will look at this a but more, and propose something that
should be the one thing that brings us from 1.5pre to 1.5

;-)

Egil
--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899