Hi all,

I think that Paul stumbled on a rather important issue. The SE of the residual
error may not be of primary interest, but the same as discussed under this
thread also applies to the standard error of omega. (I changed the name of the
subject since this thread now is about omega)

I prefer to report IIV on the %CV scale, i.e. sqrt(OMEGAnn) for a parameter
with log-normal distribution. It then makes no sense to report the standard
error on any other scale. For log-normally distributed parameters the relative
SE of IIV then becomes:
sqrt(SE.OMEGAnn)/(2*sqrt(OMEGAnn))*100%

Notice the factor 2 in the denominator. I got this from Mats Karlsson who
picked it up from France Mentré, but I have never seen the actual mathematical
derivation for this formula. I think this is what Varun is doing in his e-mail
a few hours ago. However, I am not sure; being illiterate I could not
understand the derivation. Either way, if we are satisfied with the
approximation of IIV as the square root of omega, the factor 2 in the
approximation of the SE on the %CV-scale is exact enough.

If you would like to convince yourself of that the factor 2 is correct (up to 3
significant digits), you can load the below Splus function and then run with
different CV:s, e.g:
ratio(IIV=1)
ratio(IIV=0.5)

Regards

Jakob

"ratio" <- function (IIV.stdev=1) {
        ncol     <- 1000 #1000 Studies, in which IIV is estimated
        ETAS     <- rnorm(n=1000*ncol, 0, IIV.stdev)
        ETA      <- matrix(data=ETAS, ncol=ncol)
        IIVs.stds<- colStdevs(ETA) #Estimate of IIV on sd-scale
        IIVs.vars<- colVars(ETA)   #Estimate of IIV on var-scale

        SE.std  <- stdev(IIVs.stds)/sqrt(ncol)
        SE.var  <- stdev(IIVs.vars)/sqrt(ncol)
        CV.std  <- SE.std/IIV.stdev
        CV.var  <- SE.var/(IIV.stdev^2)
        print(paste("SE on Var scale:", SE.var))
        print(paste("SE on Std scale:", SE.std))
        print(paste("Ratio CV var, CV std:", CV.var/CV.std))
        invisible()
}