From: James G Wright [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 15 February 2008 13:57
To: Ribbing, Jakob
Subject: RE: [NMusers] IIV on %CV-Scale - Standard Error (SE)

Hi Jakob,

The trick is just knowing that you need to apply Wald's formula because
the SE is a length (that depends on scale) and not a point.  Thus, to
get the right length, you need to apply a correction factor that depends
on the rescale.  For transformations like x^n, the rescale depends on x,
hence the need to include the derivative.  When I last taught calculus,
I explained this as follows (bear with me, and apologises if I have
missed the point of misunderstanding and inadvertently patronize).

Imagine you have a square, with sides of length 10 (x), it has area of
100 (x^2).  Now imagine, you increase the length of a side by 1.  The
are is now 121=(x+1)^2=x^2+2x+1.  Visually, you have added an extra
length on to each side of the square and extra +1 in the corner.  The 2x
is the first derivative of x^2, that is how much x^2 changes if you add
1 to x.

What does this have to do with a confidence interval?  To calculate the
95% confidence interval you add/subtract 1.96 times the SE to x.   You
can estimate the impact this has on x^2, by using the first derivative.
Of course, you have to do all this backwards for the square root case.
For more complex functions, the formula is only approximate because
second-order terms can become important.

That's how I visualise the equations in my head anyway.  Best regards,
James

James G Wright PhD
Scientist
Wright Dose Ltd