Dear Matt,

We published a multiple-dose implementation of the transit model a little
while back which may be of help (although it uses the mathematical solution
from Savic et al 2007, and assumes the entire bioavailable dose has left the
absorption compartment before the next dose is given). I'm not sure that
hard-coding the number of compartments as you suggest is an easier solution,
though, given the time it might take to empirically (?) narrow down the
number of transit compartments you need, and the computational overhead of
using so many differential equations. Why did you choose 25 as a starting
point, incidentally?

We had similar experiences (numerical instability under some circumstances)
in our own implementation of the Stirling approximation to the gamma
function in NONMEM VI.

Wilkins JJ, Savic RM, Karlsson MO, Langdon G, McIlleron H, Pillai G, Smith
PJ, Simonsson US. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008 Jun;52(6):2138-48.
Savic RM, Jonker DM, Kerbusch T, Karlsson MO. J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn.
2007 Oct;34(5):711-26

Best
Justin

--