Hi Dave and others,

It's a noble attempt and a kindness to Dunk. But I still think that it's
impossible to make anything worthwhile out of that tune whilst remaining
literally close to the original.

Gilbert Askew and others associated with the compilation of the NPS Tunebook in
1937 treated it very freely, publishing it as Whinshields Hornpipe.
Disapproving comments have been made here about what he did with the material,
but nevertheless that tune is eagerly played wherever Northumbrian pipers
assemble.

Dunk's original Whin Shields remains more Off the Wall, than on it.

Francis