At 13:48 08/06/2003 +0200, Tim 't Hart wrote:

Then I decided to try ConTeXt's UTF-8 support. I created the following test
file:

you mix up two mechanisms:

(1) the one used for chinese is not utf but an installable multi glyph mechanism, where the first glyph triggers a font and the second a char
(2) utf encodings directly map onto a font (needed to get hyphenation right)

so what you need is either a didicated handler like chinese, or a plug in into the utf handler.

But since there are usually no spaces in a Japanese sentence, there is no
line breaking. And as you can imagine, line breaking is a useful feature to
have! :-)

A few questions;

- How are the rules for breaking?
- how many glyphs are there (well, i could look it up in the big cjk book)
- what ranges do we use?

(see unic-* files for uft handling)

Can you make a small test suite?

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | [EMAIL PROTECTED]