Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
I placed your definition in a \start-\stopenvironment file. The \inmargins are in \product files each of which calls the environment file in its preamble. If I compile just one product (say the second \product from the project), there appears to be no problem. But if I compile the entire project, TeX chokes on that same product.

Do you think this may be the problem?

Yes, because the environment file is read twice, you need a guard against redefining the redefinition. Placing a guard around it, like this, should work:

 \expandafter\ifx\csname normalinmargin \endcsname  \relax \else
   \let\normalinmargin\inmargin
   \def\inmargin#1{{\parindent0pt \normalinmargin{#1}}}
 \fi

(yes, that is an ugly hack, but it is one I can write withour actually having
to test it before sending :))

Greetings, Taco