Hi Keith,

> On 10 Apr 2022, at 14:49, Keith McKay via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
> wrote:
>
> Hi All
>
> I have been struggling today trying to setup and use the Barcode module zint
> in ConTeXt and failed. I have followed the instructions on the wiki (
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Barcodes ) but with some changes as follows.
> Which maybe why I failed.
>
> 1) I downloaded Zint using Homebrew since I'm using macOS, and installed it
> according to the instructions.
>

> 2) Since I'm using LMTX I looked for the file libzint.dylib and found it in
> /opt/homebrew/Cellar/zint/2.10.0/lib . This is different from the path given
> on the wiki. The directory contained three files, two of which were aliases,
> libzint.2.10.dylib and libzint.dylib, and an exe file libzint.2.10.0.0.dylib

You have Hombrew installed in a non-standard location. Mine is in
/usr/local/Cellar with the executables linked into /usr/local/bin.

But, assuming other Homebrew commands work when run from Terminal then you
might still be okay.

> 3) I created the path $TEXROOT/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/lib/luametatex/zint and
> copied libzint.2.10.0.0.dylib into but replaced dylib with 'so' as suggested
> on the wiki instructions. So I basically added  lib/luametatex/zint to
> texmf-osx-64/bin .

"Yes" to creating the path but "no" to copying. Create a symbolic link instead.

So, in Terminal:

  $ cd $TEXROOT/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/lib/luametatex/zint

  # In my case I used the following:
  $ ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/zint/2.10.0/lib/libzint.dylib libzint.so

  # For you with Homebrew in a different location, try:
  $ ln -s /opt/homebrew/Cellar/zint/2.10.0/lib/libzint.dylib libzint.so

Then steps 4 and 5 as below. I ran the MWE below: the ISBN worked, the ISBNX
didn't, the QR code did. This is on Monterey.

> 4) I ran mtxrun --generate to update the database.
>
> 5) I ran the MWE below but no barcode appeared. The console output shows:
>

> modules         > using user prefixed file 'libs-imp-zint'
> modules         > 'zint' is loaded
>
>  however further down the output it gives:
>

> optional        > unable to locate library 'libzint'
>
> I have tried renaming libzint2.10.0.0.so to libzint.so, but still no barcode.
> Is their something I am missing? Tips or hints appreciated.
> Best Wishes
> Keith McKay

> \usemodule[zint]
> \starttext
> \barcode[alternative=isbn,text=9783865419026,width=4cm]
> \barcode[alternative=isbnx, text=9783865419026, width=4cm]
> \barcode[alternative=qrcode, text={https://wiki.contextgarden.net}, width=3cm]
> \stoptext

—
Bruce Horrocks