Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>> how does -afmpl perform? i always suspected afm2tfm not to take non
>>> existing ligs into account
>>>
>> Just as bad (here, at least). I'll get back to you about this
>> tomorrow,
>> it is too late for me to do serious work.
>>

> I've experimented with afm2pl, and as I wrote in an earlier mail: the
> beginning of EC.enc with its additional LIGKERN instructions confuses

well, we can consider to let texfont use a ec-fixed encoding for afm2tfm
and the regular ec encoding for the rest

--afmencoding=ec-fixed

or so

> it so it will not include default ligatures. If you delete this, it
> will work. If you use lm-ec.enc (which has a number of mistakes fixed
> anyway), it works. BUT afm2pl needs a file default.lig which is not
> present in all TeX distributions. I asked Siep a couple of months
> ago, and he replied there was a switch to ignore default.lig, but in

she
> that case, the default ligs would have to be supplied by texfont
> itself (which should be doable). IMHO, texfont should switch to
> afm2pl by default; it's much better at preserving kerning information
> (Adam, any thoughts on this?), and it makes virtual fonts
> unnecessary. I now use it regularly for all my font needs and am very
> satisfied with it.

for a while afm2pl was the default, but then it suddenly defaulted to latex
default (em) spacing which ruined a project here because that went unnoticed
and resulted in incompatible output, so it made me more careful; i'm not sure
to what extend afm2pl uses the same default for the fontdimen related things as
afm2tfm