On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 01:26, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how to do this: here in Poland we have some conventions as for
> typesetting math; for example, we don't use  \leq, but \leqslant; we
> don't write "tan" for tangent, but "tg";

That one is trivial. In math-tex there are dozens of definitions like:
    \definemathcommand [tan]     [nolop] {\mfunction{tan}}
In my opinion adding
    \definemathcommand [tg]     [nolop] {\mfunction{tg}}
to the list sounds reasonable, so then you can simply use \tg.

> we don't write "arcsin", but
> "arc\,sin"; etc.

\definemathcommand [arcsin]  [limop] {\mfunction{arc\,sin}}

But I don't know how to make it language-dependant (you can definitely
put it to some place that only gets loaded when you load Polish, but
then you'll have problems switching back and forth).

> Would it be possible to have such typographic
> conventions (I could provide a more comprehensive list, of course)
> enabled by \mainlanguage[pl]?  A related problem is dashes; where the
> English use an em-dash without any spaces, the Polish use an en-dash
> with spaces of around 0.2em (the left one "unbreakable", i.e., with
> \penalty10000).

I put a normal or unbreakable space around it :) :) :) But maybe
that's not the right solution, I just didn't care too much.

> Also, we put periods after section numbers, so no "1.2
> Section", but rather "1.2. Section".  What is the ConTeXt way to have
> such things for different languages?

We do that too. The code below is a dirty hack that achives the
desired result (in any mark), but cannot be hardcoded into the
language since it has some side effects:

\def\mynumberwithdot#1{#1.}
\setuphead
  [section] % gets inherited for subsections as well
  [numbercommand=\mynumberwithdot]

Hans has rewritten sectioning for mkiv I think, but I didn't explore
the new possibilities yet. So if you figure it out ... I would like to
have it for Slovenian as well.

Mojca