On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 2:41 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.sca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a computer engineer, one of the most import point of luatex-ConTeXMKIV
> is the possibility offered by Lua of an easy binding with external
> C/C++ shared library.
> This adds another dimension to literate programming, and in some
> circumstances eliminates
> the separation between documentation and code.
> For example, you can write an article in mkiv about Computational
> Commutative Algebra
> and the article *is* the program because is processed by the binding
> of luatex to a comp.comm.alg library
> Or you can write a text about electrical net and, if you  have a
> binding to a spice library, the text is also the program
> that resolve the net and show the result (in a graphical manner also,
> thank to mplib).
> I'm pretty sure that there are others examples in mechanical sectors,
> financial sectors, combinatorial area and so on,
> maybe logic too.
> CPU power and disk storage are not a problem:
> 8cores-8GigaByte-1Tera computer has already reach the mass-market
> and context mkiv and luatex are well designed.

I've been imagining what opportunities might be available via the
Parrot platform, as there is a native Lua on the VM that could
ostensibly share objects/classes/methods/code with any other language
on the platform. Not sure what kind of bridging options will be
available between Parrot and LuaTeX, but I think I remember something
about being able to 'inject' Lua statements into the LuaTeX engine (at
some point)? Would that make it feasible to somehow chain Parrot's Lua
to LuaTeX?

I'm not a true software engineer, just a self-taught tinkerer with
wild ideas. I hadn't been thinking in such literate programming terms,
but that sounds incredibly cool.

2010/4/3 John Haltiwanger <john.haltiwan...@gmail.com>:

> As this is precisely my situation, perhaps I can offer you the benefit
> of a test-able target audience? Today I am already looking into the
> best route to learning TeX/mkiv in a holistic (ie not just looking for
> the 'recipe' I need to meet a given deadline). I have just entered
> full-time thesis mode, so the question begins Should I just sit down
> and read the TeXBook? (something that will be done regardless, it's
> just a question as what is most worthwhile to Getting Something Done
> Right Now) or would it be that the LuaTeX manual is more directly
> applicable? Or, perhaps, a chapter from your book? ;)

Sorry to reply to myself, but the send button got pressed a bit early.
The point is, I want to approach TeX/mkiv in a holistic way. I don't
necessarily want to be mired in TeX constraints when it seems LuaTeX
will be a) easier b) more relevant c) more powerful. However, I can
imagine that knowing the former is important to understanding/learning
the latter.

Anyway, at the moment I'm content to read Taco's new typography
chapter and add a few notes :)