Hi,

One of the changes in mkiv font handling is that from now on we have mode=auto as default (beware, this is one of those mkiv only options and not supported in the generic variant).

I don't know how well it works in practice but it does work out ok for cases like:

\starttext

    \startTEXpage
        \definedfont[Serif*default at 20pt]fijn\par
        \definefontfeature[nlddefault][default][script=latn,language=nld]
        \definedfont[Serif*nlddefault at 20pt]fijn\par
    \stopTEXpage

\stoptext

Depending on the font, node mode takes more memory (and a bit more runtime) but you can always enforce base or node mode when you are unhappy with the automatically determined mode.