I hope this means that PGF/TikZ becomes hosted on Github – I think the team
there does a great job and the concept of “pull requests” really fits any
open source project, no matter how hard the criteria for patches are.

Sadly not. If I put their code to GitHub, this doesn't mean that
GitHub will become their primary version control system. I would use
it just to simplify packaging of ConTeXt distribution. However:
- it would be a convenient place for pgf developers to see which
patches are needed
- patches would be tested by ConTeXt users
- it would be much easier to keep track of changes that are needed
- we could use the bug tracker to keep track of changes that are still needed
- Aditya or anyone else would be free to play with more ConTeXt-like
code; pgf developers are not all aware of modern coding style in
ConTeXt, but if they received a ready solution, they might accept it

Untested (but this is really simple code, so nothing should break)

https://github.com/mojca/pgf/pull/1

Aditya