On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08, Philipp A. wrote:
> hi mojca, do you want to swich from cvs to git or just create a git mirror
> of the cvs repo?

Create a git mirror.

> in the latter case, i’d be interested in why you don’t
> swich to git entirely.

Because I'm not the developer. That decision would have to be made in
the team developing PGF. If they don't like svn/git or other tools, I
cannot make decisions instead of them what they have to use.

>> When I tried to do conversion from CVS, the .cvsignore files are the
>> only leftovers that somehow bother me (I would really like to get rid
>> of .cvsignore files and put some gitignore somewhere, without my
>> commit being visible), but then I noticed that .cvsignore ->
>> .gitignore conversion is still on TODO list.
>
> that cvs2git didn’t build it in makes me wonder what the big problem is.

I was testing only "git cvsimport" so far, but the homepage of cvs2svn
claims that they don't support it yet (they are looking for developers
to implement it). The main developer is not a git user.

>> The other thing that would make me happy would be the ability to apply
>> some hook to do some transformation of code before comitting to git
>> (let's say that I would want to reencode files into UTF-8 or that I
>> would want to move or rename some files before the actual commit). If
>> you know a simple way to do this, please let me know.
>
> yes, there is such a thing. it is aptly named “pre-commit hook”:
> http://book.git-scm.com/5_git_hooks.html

Thank you. I will try to figure out if I can make it work in my scenario.

> but since there are many settings in git (e.g. core.autocrlf for line
> endings), i’d guess there are some for encoding, too. i might be mistaken,
> though.

I'm not talking about encoding only. I would also like to reshuffle
files (create TDS structure out of current repository of pgf).

Mojca