On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Rudolf Bahr <qu...@quasi.de> wrote:

> Hello list members,
>
> an only-a-few-days-fan of Context writes to you for the first time. I'm
> pleased
> to have found a program closer to TeX and younger than LaTeX. In the last
> years
> I used LaTeX for a bigger family project with good success, but
> experienced some
> difficulties in arranging minipages containing changing text and pictures
> especially in series letters.
> So I'm trying to do that using Context. Of course I cannot change hundreds
> of
> files from LaTeX to Context, but newer tasks I'd like to do in Context.
>
> There is a first question I have concerning Fraktur fonts which I'd like
> to use
> typesetting a poem:
>
> I found a 2-mail-discussion in your 2002-archiv concerning those fonts.
> But I
> have to admit that I don't understand what is written there. So, I tried
> simply
>
> \definefont[Gedichtfont][Fraktur]
> \Gedichtfont{... poem ...}
>
> both with "context" and "texexec", but I don't achieve the desired result.
> "texexec" displays a font somehow similar to Fraktur, but not a very nice
> one and
> much to broad; and it seems to have no different "s" (one inner-word and
> one word-end
> or syllable-end "s") as needed in Fraktur. And, my "texexec" doesn't know
> anything
> about umlauts and sharp s.
> Whereas my "context" (translating the same program), dosn't know Fraktur,
> but knows
> umlauts.
> So I'm always using both of them, enjoying the partial success of both,
> though
> I read somewhere, it should be better using "texexec".
>
> Well, a very nice Fraktur font is Yannis Haralambous' "yfrak" in his
> "yfont"
> series, the nicest one I've found until now.
>
> Could you please help me to formulate the correct commands to use a "nice"
> Fraktur
> font, be it "yfrak" or another one? But please remember, Context is still
> rather
> confusing to me. So, it should be simple enough.
>
> Best regards,
> Ruhmwolf
>
> Thinking to  latex:
etex+latex format = latex
pdftex+latex format = pdflatex
luatex+latex format = lualatex

Probably you were/are using pdflatex or latex

We have now :

mkii: pdftex+mkii format
To run mkii you use texexec
mkii is frozen
and
from the pov of features
it's  like latex and pdflatex

mkiv:luatex+mkiv format
luatex embeds the Lua language.
To run mkiv you use context
mkiv the current target of development
and is very advanced, while lualatex it's still behind .
It's the recommanded format: mkii is of course stable,
but every feature of mkii is now in mkiv and mkiv is more easy
(I should also add faster than mkii but not always , we are working on it...
oh well you can use luajiitex in case)

For fonts you can search and try
simplefonts
(works with mkiv only)