I have been arguing with Hans over the proper treatment of "particles",
in general. The rules vary greatly - here we are looking at a
comparison between Dutch and German practice. In French, the use often
depends on history differing before and after the revolution. In
Spanish, we have other practice.

One solution is to make the rendering depend on the "language=" bibtex
field. But this does not work universally. With Hans, we have extended
the bibtex standard so that names can be explicitly separated, as in:
author = {particle, lastname, suffix, firstname}
This allows the author to use a free form for each component without
resorting to any bibtex trickery (like capitalization or not). How
these components are handled or rendered is not entirely worked out.
Indeed, the German practice differs from others. Thus my suggestion of
the use of the language field (or setting).

Alan

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:50:44 +0100
Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 1/27/2015 8:16 PM, Keith Schultz wrote:
> > Hi Jörg,
> >
> > Though, generally, the von, as well as a few others, are nobility
> > particles in Germany, but not necessarily always noblility
> > particles, but at times signify the place where a persons ancestor
> > came from!
> >
> > Now, in the case Goethe you are right that he was ennobled.
> > Therefore the von is not truly part of his name. He should be
> > listed as you rightly mentioned under Goethe and not "von Goethe“.
> >
> > It is impossible for a bibliographic system to handle this, so
> > there is no switch for it!
>
> you can try to wrap thing that belong together in { } ... it might
> work
>
> > So, it is up to the author of a text to set up his entries
> > properly, by putting the von in the right part of the name field.
>
> indeed, not all can be catched in a poorly specified format
>
> btw, context loads the bib data in memory and fields of type author
> get split into multiple authors and each is split into parts; most
> magic is under our own control so we can always add variants if
> needed (maybe some prefix that indicates a german name or so) but
> anyway this whole von business is on our agenda
>
> Hans

>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

Alan Braslau