On 1/28/2015 4:10 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
I have been arguing with Hans over the proper treatment of "particles",
in general. The rules vary greatly - here we are looking at a
comparison between Dutch and German practice. In French, the use often
depends on history differing before and after the revolution. In
Spanish, we have other practice.

One solution is to make the rendering depend on the "language=" bibtex
field. But this does not work universally. With Hans, we have extended
the bibtex standard so that names can be explicitly separated, as in:
author = {particle, lastname, suffix, firstname}
This allows the author to use a free form for each component without
resorting to any bibtex trickery (like capitalization or not). How
these components are handled or rendered is not entirely worked out.
Indeed, the German practice differs from others. Thus my suggestion of
the use of the language field (or setting).

I've added a tracer for authors. The main problem with authors is that bibtex was never set up to multilingual (there has been written and talked a lot about it by Jean Micheakl Hufflen who made a multilingual bibtex).

So, in order to deal with names, the way to go is roughly as follows:

- multiple names are separated by 'and' (hopefully there are no parents who names their kids This and That)

- when a name has no commas it gets analyzed and split according to some heuristics ... there is not that much we can do about it (but we try to catch as much as possible) ... this can mean that a particle is seen as one of the surnames but that is seldom a big issue as eventually the name gets combined again

- in the mkiv publication subsystem names travel around in their split form: initials, firstnames, vons (bad name, might change), surnames, juniors (also bad name), so

Alan Xavier von Braslau jr becomes

[A X] [Alan Xavier] [von] [Braslau] [jr]

Now that can can never be robust expecially when names are written in full, so that is why we look at names with commas differnetly:

Alan Xavier Braslau

becomes

[A X] [Alan Xavier] [] [Braslau] []

but

Xavier Braslau, Alan

becomes

[A] [Alan] [] [Xavier Braslau] []

the snippets in a two element name is still analyzed according to some heuristics

When there are more snippets (where {} indicates an empty snippet) the filling of the record depends on the amount of snippets. In principle you can have of them, including the initials if they are kind of special.)

Keep in mind that there is nothing like a bibtex standard (and it's still beta anyway awaiting version 1).

Here is a test:

\startbuffer[mybib]

@book{something-1,
    author = { Foo Bar von Something },
    title  = { Whatever 1 },
    year   = { 2015 }
}

@book{something-2,
    author = { Foo Bar von Something and John Doe },
    title  = { Whatever 2 },
    year   = { 2015 }
}

@book{something-3,
    author = { von Something, Foo Bar and John Doe },
    title  = { Whatever 3 },
    year   = { 2015 }
}

@book{something-4,
    author = { {}, von Something, Foo Bar and John Doe },
    title  = { Whatever 4 },
    year   = { 2015 }
}

@book{something-5,
    author = { {}, von Something, {}, Foo Bar and John Doe },
    title  = { Whatever 5 },
    year   = { 2015 }
}

@book{something-6,
    author = { {}, {von Something}, {}, Foo Bar, FoBa and John Doe },
    title  = { Whatever 6 },
    year   = { 2015 }
}

\stopbuffer

\usemodule[art-01]

\usebtxdataset[mybib.buffer]

\starttext

    \showbtxdatasetcompleteness[standard]

    \page

    \showbtxdatasetauthors[standard]

\stoptext

Of course we can add all kind of manipulators when typesetting them, but adding all kind of complex tweaks to the input makes no sense: (1) I can't remember them as till now i never needed a bibliography myself, and (2) Alan can't document them because there are to many demands and options but above all (3) only one user will use that specific tweak and forgets about it after that specific thesis demand was met.

Hans

ps. As one has access to the loaded bib data it is always possible to writ every specific renderers given willingness to mess with Lua.