On 29.03.2015 19:47, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Am 29.03.2015 um 14:40 schrieb Pavneet Arora <pavneet_ar...@waroc.com
<mailto:pavneet_ar...@waroc.com>>:

Hello everyone,

After a long time I have some typesetting work in front of me...yippeee!

I am struggling with adapting my templates to the new integrated
simplefonts module, and hope that someone can help.

The three issues I am having are:

1.  How does one find the proper expanded long name of the desired font.
   For this project, I am using some fonts from The League of Moveable
   Type (https://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/).

   I have reloaded the fonts, and can list them, in the traditional
   manner.  What I don't know is how to find the proper name for---say
   Junction Light---to use as the third argument in
   '\definefontfamily[mainface][ss][Junction Light]'

   The use of 'Junction Light' doesn't work, and neither does
   'Junction-Light', nor 'junctionlight', nor even 'Junction, Light'
   which I retrieve from Font Viewer under Linux.  MWE follows at the
   end of this email.  I reference Wolfgang's response stating that the
   expanded name must be used
   (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2014/077321.html).

You need the familyname of the font, you use the font manager of your OS
to get the name.

\definefontfamily [junction] [rm] [Junction]
\definefontfamily [junction] [mm] [Latin Modern Math]

\definefontfamily [junction-light] [rm] [Junction]
[tf=style:light,bf=style:regular]

I just had it made working this way:

\definefontfamily[mainface]
        [ss]
        [EgalobhierFarinUrlaubodersonstwasoderwersteht]
        [tf=Junction Light, bf=Junction Regular]

It seems that as soon as you define your own weights (which you can mix from different font families) in the fourth pair of brackets, there can be anything in the third pair of brackets (family name).

\definefontfamily[mainface]
        [sans]
        [Anything]
        [regularfont=Junction Light, boldfont=Junction Regular]

works as well and is more self-explaining.

An advantage of your way

> \definefontfamily [junction-light] [rm] [Junction]
> [tf=style:light,bf=style:regular]

is that you have to type the family name only once if you re-define weights from the same family.

Are there any reasons why one should not use any of all those synonyms?

Greetings Jörg

\definefontfamily [junction-light] [mm] [Latin Modern Math]

\setupbodyfont[junction]

\starttext

\input ward \bf \input ward

\blank \switchtobodyfont[junction-light]

\tf \input ward \bf \input ward

\stoptext

2.  How does one switch fonts in-line for small snippets of text?  I
   used to use '{\simplefont[heydingsicons] q}123.345.67890', but this
   now results in an error.

   tex error       > error on line 7 in file
virtual://buffer.noname.1: ! Undefined control sequence

   l.7                 {\simplefont [heydingsicons] q}~123.456.7890
{\simplefont[heydingsicons..

When you use a symbol font define a command for it with \definesymbol
and access it with \symbol.

The example below uses the Font Awesome [1] font for the symbols (the
symbols are defined in the attached file).

\usesymbols[fontawesome]

\defineframed
   [SymbolFrame]
   [strut=no,
    width=1em,
    height=1em,
    background=color,
    backgroundcolor=black,
    corner=round,
    radius=.5ex,
    foregroundcolor=white]

\definesymbol
   [mysymbol]
   [\SymbolFrame{\directsymbol{fontawesome}{question}}]

\starttext

\startlines
\symbol[fontawesome][question]
\symbol[fontawesome][question-circle]
\framed[strut=no,width=1em,height=1em,background=color,backgroundcolor=black,corner=round,radius=.5ex,foregroundcolor=white]{\symbol[fontawesome][question]}
\symbol[mysymbol]
\stoplines

\stoptext

3.  This may be a more generic typescript mapping issue, but I still
   struggle with understanding font mappings.  I don't quite get how
   the default mappings are done.

   Look, for example, at Junction above.  'junction' is mapped to
   'junctionbold' rather than 'junctionregular'.  Is this just done by
   taking the first in the list in alphabetic order?

   Or how the League Gothic font is processed below.  How is it that
   leaguegothic is mapped to leaguegothiccondenseditalic by default?
   What is the recommended way in this new simplefont scheme to set the
   mappings for a document?

   $ mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=leaguegothic

   resolvers       | trees | analyzing 'home:texmf'
   resolvers       | caching | skipping 'files' for 'home:texmf' from

'/opt/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/trees/54be04d87dd160089f572b19cb5c97e9'
(version mismatch)
   leaguegothic                   leaguegothiccondenseditalic

/home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-CondensedItalic.otf
   leaguegothiccondenseditalic    leaguegothiccondenseditalic

/home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-CondensedItalic.otf
   leaguegothiccondensedregular   leaguegothiccondensedregular

/home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-CondensedRegular.otf
   leaguegothicitalic             leaguegothicitalic

/home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-Italic.otf
   leaguegothicregular            leaguegothicregular

/home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-Regular.otf

There mappings are only relevant when you create your own typescripts
where you access fonts
with the name method, e.g. \definefontsynonym [Serif]
[name:leaguegothic] but simplefonts doesn’t
use of them.

[1] http://fontawesome.io

Wolfgang