Jan U. Hasecke schrieb am 14.01.19 um 08:39:

Here is a example which shows how you can change the background color
of a empty page before the chapter title.

\setuppagenumbering
   [alternative=doublesided]

\startsetups [chapter:before]
   \doifoddpageelse
     {}
     {\pushbackground[page]
      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=black]
      \page[empty,right]
      \popbackground}
\stopsetups

\setuphead
   [chapter]
   [page=yes,
    before=\directsetup{chapter:before}]

\starttext

\startchapter[title={Knuth}]
\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{knuth}}
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={Zapf}]
\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{zapf}}
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={Ward}]
\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{ward}}
\stopchapter

\stoptext

Thanks a lot Wolfgang!

This was just the thing I was looking for. These setups seems to be the
golden bullet in ConTeXt but I often have difficulties to understand the
mechanism.

If you mean the setups-environment with setups you’re wrong because this is only a alternative way to a command (e.g. \define\mycommand{...}).

The main point is that you finish the page before the section title and check on the new page whether you’re on a odd or even numbered page.

When the test tells you that you’re on a even numbered page you know there is a empty left page before the chapter which can be used to add something special.

Below is a simplified example for the method.

\starttext

\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{knuth}}

\page

\doifoddpageelse
  {}
  {\pushbackground[page]
   \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=red]
   \page[empty]
   \popbackground}

\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{zapf}}

\stoptext

I'll try to wikify this later this week.

The push-pop-background pair is mentionend in x-setups-overview together
with some other push-pop-pairs or push single commands. Are they
documented somewhere?

Most of these push/pop commands are used for internal stuff (or sometimes in styles) which means there is no documentation for them.

The purpose of them is to store the state of a command (e.g. the page background) before you change its values, afterwards you can just revert back to the previously saved state.

As these commands are no real environments they are listed as separate commands but it’s possible I will change this.

Wolfgang