On 12/30/2019 5:03 AM, Sam May wrote:

\setuplanguage[en]
        [leftquotation=\quotedash~,
        rightquotation=~\quotedash,
        leftsentence=\removeunwantedspaces~\endash\space,
        midsentence=\removeunwantedspaces~\endash\space,
%       leftsentence=\endash~,
%       midsentence=~\endash,
        rightsentence=~\endash]
\define\quotedash{\emdash\endash}

%\setupbackend[export=yes]

\starttext

\startsection[title=Introduction]
Any of you able to help me get my quotation dashes into line when automatically inserted by the semantic commands? I'm sure a number of you look at this style and cringe, but \cap{A.} I'm not looking for grammatical input, and \cap{B.} I'm intending this for a non-English language where the quotation dash (though
still not most common) isn't as out of place.
\stopsection

\startsection[title=Desired rendering]
\quotedash~Speech should always have a dash at the start, but none at the end
of a paragraph.

\quotedash~Dialog asides should not duplicate dashes,~\endash\ he
said.~\quotedash\ Also, this doesn't reflect the spacing mentioned in section
\in[extra].  \quotedash~nor, as above, add ones at the end of paragraphs.
\endash~he continued.
\stopsection

\startsection[title=Actual output]
\speech{Speech should always have a dash at the start, but none at the end of a
paragraph.}

\speech{Dialog asides should not duplicate dashes, \aside{he said.}} Also, note
the spacing isn't removed despite \type{\removeunwantedspaces}, but instead
duplicated.  \speech{nor, as above, add ones at the end of paragraphs.
\aside{he continued.}}
\stopsection

\startsection[title=Additional considerations and observations,reference=extra] It would also be nice if a quote ending in a period carried the \quote{broad}
spacing to the other side of the (ending) quote dash |=| the dash before
\quote{Also} above would be packed on the left and broad on the right. I know
this might be a lot trickier to code, and only consider it a bonus.

The issue with \type{\removeunwantedspaces} only seems to affect the command forms. When inserted directly |<| as here |>| the spacing acts as desired in the \cap{PDF} (as expected, the \cap{XML} doesn't understand the order). Also,
the right \type{|>|} doesn't require either of the explicit spacing
instructions (beyond being non-breaking) while the others do; try switching the
commented lines and re-rendering.

The quotation dash itself only \emph{looks} as I want it; when I highlight and copy the text or export it to the \cap{XML} backend, it's still two dashes next
to each other.  Instead, I'd like it to be the Unicode bar U+2015.  I'm not
sure if \TEX/\LUATEX\ allows that difference between appearance and interaction (I do know \cap{PDF} does), so if there's some way of adding a new glyph to the font |<| one that mimics the other dashes even if the font changes |>| I'd love to actually use the proper codepoint. As is, that doesn't work in the standard
font(s): [\char"2015].
\stopsection

\stoptext

I bet that Wolfgang has the answers to the speech setup so I'll do the font part. Assuming that you use context lmtx (the luametatex branch), you can use some of the new metafun magic.

\startMPcalculation{simplefun}

    vardef QuotationDash =
        draw image (
            interim linecap := squared ;
            save l ; l := 0.2 ;
            draw (l/2,2) -- (15-l/2,2) withpen pencircle scaled l ;
        )
    enddef ;

    lmt_registerglyphs [
        name     = "symbols",
        units    = 10,
        usecolor = true,
        width    = 15,
        height   = 2.1,
        depth    = 0,
    ] ;

lmt_registerglyph [ category = "symbols", unicode = "0x2015", code = "QuotationDash ;" ] ;

\stopMPcalculation

\definefontfeature[default][default][metapost=symbols]

% \showglyphs

\starttext

\startlines
xx\endash        xx
xx\emdash        xx
xx\endash\emdash xx
xx\char"2015     xx
\stoplines

\stoptext

Keep in mind that when you use for instance pagella, that there already that glyph.