It's possible to use leaders to remove multiple dashes and also dashes at the end of a paragraph but this will only work for the PDF. A limitation is that you can't use the existing \speech and \aside commands because they use groups which prevents the removal of unwanted dashes.
there's another trick that we can use ... i'll send you (ws) something to play with as we (you) might integrate it in the speech handler somehow