You don't have time to do it twice, then.  Is it possible to P2V a domain?
 Yes, certainly, you've done a fair amount of research on the process.
 During that process, I'm sure you've also seen indications that it isn't
recommended.  Finally, you've come to peers, and we're confirming that it
isn't recommended.

If time is your resource constrained resource, I'm failing to see how
standing up a new VM to act as a DC is going to take any more time than a
P2V operation.  Further, the time it takes will not impact operations or
have to be conducted in off hours (exceptions might have to be made with
the DHCP server, if it's on a Windows box).