Regarding App-V, I have not used it yet, but I hear it's pretty nice.  Anyone
have idea how it's priced (free?)

I wish I could go to Synergy.  It was cut from the budget.

Tom

>>> "Webster" <carlwebs...@gmail.com> 5/5/2010 2:42 PM >>>

And Citrix just updated their Streaming Profiler to version 6.  While at the
same time they are doing a road show with Microsoft telling people to use App-V
with XA6 and XenDesktop and Microsoft is saying that you get better performance
and better scalability with XenDesktop 4.

http://community.citrix.com/display/ocb/2010/03/12/Go+ahead+use+App-V%2C+no+really%2C+please...

Carl Webster
Citrix Technology Professional
http://dabcc.com/Webster

From:Ken Cornetet [mailto:ken.corne...@kimball.com]
Subject: RE: Virtualizing applications

I doubt Microsoft is ceding virtualized desktops. They just added virtual
desktop and a slew of new virtual app features in server 2008 R2.

From:Webster [mailto:carlwebs...@gmail.com]

Just between me and you (and everyone else on this list) my Citrix contacts are
telling me to concentrate on App-V (and hurry up and write some articles on it).

Citrix is ceding streaming to App-V
Microsoft is ceding virtualized desktops to XenDesktop

Just what I have been told by several Citrites.

Hope to learn more at the Citrix Synergy next week and from all the CTP
meetings.  I will fill you in on what is not NDA when I get back (just remind
me).

From:Tom Miller [mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org]

Wow, so no more streaming profiler.  I had issues with it off and on.  App-v it
is.

>>> "Webster" <carlwebs...@gmail.com> 5/5/2010 12:13 PM >>>
Yes that is what I am saying.

Webster

From:Tom Miller [mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org]

Webster are you saying use App-V instead of Citrix streaming?  I'll need to
keep that in mind for XenDesktop when I roll that out.

>>> "Webster" <carlwebs...@gmail.com> 5/5/2010 10:44 AM >>>
Citrix now recommends using App-V with XenApp 6.  I would recommend going in
that direction.  I will be as soon as I can find some lab time that is not
spent writing articles.  Several of the CTPs are also App-V MVPs.

From:James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Subject: Virtualizing applications

We are in the process of migrating our Citrix 4.5 x86 Windows 2003 R2 farm to a
brand new, Windows 2008 R2 XenApp 6 x64 environment. All is going swimmingly
well...until a couple of departments remind us that they have some old apps
that are vitally important to them they'd like including in the new deployment.
All this after they forgot to mention it in the initial systems analysis and
only two days before go-live....the lack of communication is an issue I'm not
looking for advice on.

The issue I am concerned with is how to get these apps into the new
environment. Naturally, they won't install on x64 servers or 2008. Because
we're using XenApp 6 we can't join either MPS 4.5 or XenApp 5 servers to the
farm, which would have been handy as we could have built an x86 server and
published these apps on it. So I thought I'd fire up another server, install
the Citrix Streaming Profiler and virtualize them as streamed applications to
the new environment. No dice there either. The first of these problem apps uses
a huge set of patches that have to be deployed through a vendor-specific
patching tool, and this causes the profiler to crash. Same with the second app
- it uses some strange installer procedures and the profiler fails when running
it. So I am kind of at a dead end.

The only other thing I can think of is using App-V, but I'm worried that this
will a) put me back a few days as I learn how to use it, and b) could possibly
fail in the same way as the Citrix Profiler solution. There's also the problem
of learning how to integrate XenApp 6 and App-V, which I am sure can be done
but which I have no experience of. Either way, it seems a bit tricky.

Does anyone else have any bright ideas that might help out? Could I use RDP
connections to a virtual x86 server with these apps on and use Terminal
Services to "publish" applications in the same way as Citrix does, without the
hassle of the incompatible farms in Citrix? Or is there some better way of
virtualizing application access, or indeed any other way I could achieve this
in the small timeframe I have been left with? All ideas, hints, tips and
suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
message.