On 10/23/2013 8:51 AM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
  Ralf Gommers <ralf.gomm...@gmail.com> wrote:
but the layout of that page is on
purpose. scipy.org is split into two parts: (a) a SciPy Stack part, and
(b)
a numpy & scipy library part. You're looking at the stack part, and the
preferred method to install that stack is a Python distribution.
OK, I'm not sure that's a great idea, but if we take that as a given:

That page could use some clarification about what the heck the "stack"
is, and what its relationship to the scipy and numpy packages is.

And I still think it wouldn't hurt to more obviously point people to
how to get either numpy or scipy themselves.

So maybe my section about the "official" binaries, but lower on the
page. I don't like "custom" as a title, as that makes it sound like
advanced numpy-fu, not where a newbie looking for just numpy is going
to look.

But it sounds like the real problem is with the surrounding
pages--that's the page you find when you try to figure out how to get
numpy--if that page is about the stack, it should not be linked to
directly from the numpy.org page without explanation.

We do have a branding problem: "scipy" is a package, a "stack" and a
ecosystem/community. It should be clear which one is being referred to
when.

-Chris
Chris, thanks for taking this on! You very clearly state all of the confusion I have had with Numpy and Scipy distributions and branding. I also agree that relying on a Python distribution to provide Scipy and Numpy is not a good idea. --jv