Hi,

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Pauli Virtanen <p...@iki.fi> wrote:
> 23.10.2013 20:10, Matthew Brett kirjoitti:
> [clip]
>> There's no need to prefer one group over the other - we just need to
>> make sure that both groups have instructions and binaries they can
>> recognize as being for their case.  As in:
>>
>> (Group 1): The easiest way to get ....
>> (Group 2): You can also install the stack from community-supported
>> binaries, this is more complicated, but possible by ...
>
> This is pretty much what scipy.org/install.html page currently says.
> What can be improved is adding more noticeable links to the binaries.

Yes, sure.  Obviously it's a subtle matter of emphasis, and also
obviously, that current situation has some people confused.

> I'm convinced that relying on a Python distribution on Windows and OSX
> is a good idea, and needs to be emphasized over needs of advanced users,
> who should have enough patience to read the bottom of the page.

I am arguing that whether it's a good idea or not, according to us, is
not going affect the guys and gals in Group 2, and that, unless we
want to lose or discourage those people, we'll always need to support
(and give mind- and page-space to) community-built binary installers.

Cheers,

Matthew