On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 09:56 -0500, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 07:01:33PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Clearly you depend on Verizon for access to your customer base.
> Clearly Verizon is a Common Carrier
> and Clearly YOU become a Common Carrier once someone purchases service
from you.

No Alex, nor someone like myself becomes a common carrier when some
purchases service from us. The common part in question for us is the
copper and fiber plant the public has paid for. Not the access hardware
nor the service infrastructure ISP's develop that use that public
infrastructure.

There should be nothing stopping you from setting up a small network
between you and several neighbors and sharing your internet access for
redundancy or hosting you own mail servers, but since most people would
rather pay for us to do it, we do. There should be nothing dictating how
traffic over your home network is handled if you peer with a neighbor,
just be cause you both also interconnect to the public infrastructure.
And maybe carry VoIP traffic for one of you neighbors over your link...

> When you become a Commmon Carrier, the public has every right to
expect
> unobstructive, and regulated business practices.

I think Alex is doing a bit of knee jerking about Network Neutrality and
his network. I think a common carrier who manages infrastructure paid
for the public(subsidized or otherwise), and have a natural access
monopoly resulting from that infrastructure management position granted
by the government, should be subject to network neutrality.

As for prioritization of traffic and access, that has normally been
specified in peering arrangements or transit arrangements.
Peering is a completely different subject. but if you're interested..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

> > So, what exactly do network neutrality bills would do? "Strengthen"
what?
> > Devil's in details.
>

> The Devil is in the Common Carrier which conducts business in a way to
prevent
> fair competition...be their name Verizon, Time-Warner or Pilosoft.
>
> Ruben
>

> > Given the fact that NYCWireless historically supports
> > the more extreme positions, I find it important to emphasize that
not all
> > "Neutrality" is a good thing.
> >

> Actually, it is.  And, BTW, your opinion on this issue is not an
isolated
> example.  You have repeatedly favored giving businesses extra rights
which
> limit the use and access to communication systems purchased in good
faith
> by indiciduals for their needs.  This has been a common thread with
you from
> the GPL, to DRM, and now network access.  You positions are
fundementally
> in opposition to Free Software, and any other community based
initiative.

 Businesses like Pilosoft, Bway.net's, thing.net, panix, etc...  sell
services. We have paid for a developed a service infrastructure, without
public funding, and yes the government shouldn't be able to tell us how
to treat traffic. That is up to the arrangements we make with our
peering partners, or transit providers. Those arrangements are driven by
a businesses primary objective(making money).

> You also skipped over the admitence on your part of agreeing that
their is a
> moral basis for regulating common carriers.  If the details of fair
> implementation of Network Neutralily bothers you, I strongly suggest
that you
> give up on your original position, a position which would clearly
shoot your
> own business model in the foot, and join the conversation of those
working
> to assure fair access to all individuals to "the network" when
purchasing
> necessary common carrier access which remains the cornstone of the
internet
> and our revolutionary digitally dependent society circa 2006.

I agree about the concept of Net Neutrality. Ruben you may not realize
it, but you're comparing potatoes to oranges.

Network Neutrality is common amongst peers,It makes business sense for
tier 1 providers. For companies that have a monopoly over a public
resource, I feel, it should be required.

PS.
If SBC told me I had to pay for transit across their network, I'd tell
them to speak to their peering partners and see how they feel about
it... I'd also bring it up with my upstream provider I'm sure they'd
have a position about it as well. Which would probably mean bad business
for SBC. There are many network service providers who would rejoice at
seeing the ILEC's De-Peered. I'd rejoice at seeing them relegated to
only layer 1 and layer 2 technologies. So Mr. Henry may not be
completely wrong about Market Wisdom... :).