> No Alex, nor someone like myself becomes a common carrier when some
> purchases service from us. The common part in question for us is the
> copper and fiber plant the public has paid for. Not the access hardware
> nor the service infrastructure ISP's develop that use that public
> infrastructure.

Yes - you become the common carrier for your clients because you
are the gateway for them to the internet.   I agree that crealy when
the government is handing a company a monopoly on the last mile that
then they have even more responsibility to the public, but everyone
how offers plain vanilla access has responsibilites as common carriers
and are regulared as such.

> There should be nothing stopping you from setting up a small network
> between you and several neighbors and sharing your internet access for
> redundancy or hosting you own mail servers, but since most people would
> rather pay for us to do it, we do. There should be nothing dictating how
> traffic over your home network is handled if you peer with a neighbor,
> just be cause you both also interconnect to the public infrastructure.
> And maybe carry VoIP traffic for one of you neighbors over your link...

Your home network is your own business.  But if your selling it, your now
a business, just like TW, AOL and Verizon.

> > When you become a Commmon Carrier, the public has every right to
> expect
> > unobstructive, and regulated business practices.
>
> I think Alex is doing a bit of knee jerking about Network Neutrality and
> his network. I think a common carrier who manages infrastructure paid
> for the public(subsidized or otherwise), and have a natural access
> monopoly resulting from that infrastructure management position granted
> by the government, should be subject to network neutrality.

That is the sickest part of this conversation.  When the dust settles
I'm willing to bet Alex just agrees with everyone else.

> As for prioritization of traffic and access, that has normally been
> specified in peering arrangements or transit arrangements.
> Peering is a completely different subject. but if you're interested..
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

Different conversation.  We're talking about the artificial obstruction
of services through software when connectivity and physical access are
already achived.

Ruben

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions

proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.inns.net <-- Happy Clients
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and