For exercise and to listen to the night sounds I occasionally go for a night
walk in the Massapequa Preserve by walking the bike path. Tonight, for the
first time in the 27 years I've lived next to the Preserve,  I heard a Great
Horned Owl calling.   I first heard it while walking past the U.S.G.S. gauging
station located next to the path.  I sat on the bench overlooking the pond
where I first reported the least bittern and could easily hear the owl calling
from the swamp south-southwest of  "bittern pond".  It called 23 more times
before I got up to continue my walk.  This occurrence might be noteworthy given
the dearth of  GHO records from southern Nassau County........

John Turner