Nancy O'Keefe and I (John Laver), drove the Jones Beach West End loop on
Sunday morning.  We'd read somewhere a dearth of Brown Thrashers for the
region.  Well, we saw six from the car without really trying.  Don't know
if that's a lot or not.

John Laver & Nancy O'Keefe
Manhattan

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM Shaibal Mitra <shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu>
wrote:

> Judging from many, many recent conversations with fellow birders, it seems
> that people are having a tough time of it during these June doldrums. From
> independent sources over the past week, I've heard: "crushing
> disappointment;" "why is it so bad?;" "is it going to get better?"
> "something could show up, right?;" "didn't birding used to be good?;" "this
> place used to be good, I think" and more. And this has mostly been in the
> context of ordinary, local birding, not directly related to the more
> ominous big-picture concerns expressed by Chris recently.
>
> My usual response, admittedly slightly sadistic, is that birding
> excitement has always been relative. We modern observers can't begin to
> imagine how bad it was before the legal protection of birds was implemented
> a century ago, and yet the observers of that time still found birdwatching
> exciting--and were motivated enough to achieve protective legislation in
> the face of forces as ruthless and malevolent as those confronting us now.
> Imagine the excitement experienced by Harry Hathaway, the father of Rhode
> Island ornithology, when in 1894 he saw his first Great Blue Heron, after
> ten years of field work! It was Hathaway's ongoing work that eventually
> revealed that a unique, seemingly outlying, 19th Century winter record of
> White-throated Sparrow in RI was not an accident. He documented two more
> winter records and lived long enough to see RI's plundered and deforested
> landscape recover sufficiently to harbor the lisping flocks of
> White-throats we now take for granted on the CBCs.
>
> On Long Island, Ludlow Griscom scolded over-exuberant birders who tossed
> off sight records of Ring-billed Gulls in winter and summer, citing a
> countable number of such specimens as the gold standard of documentation
> for that species in that context. Chafing at this discipline, Cruickshank
> and Peterson figured out how to find and identify Ring-billed Gulls better
> then their predecessors--proving again the eternal pleasure of purposeful
> birdwatching.
>
> Yesterday I saw my first adult Ring-billed Gulls of the season at Robert
> Moses SP, Suffolk County. I'm not sure of the date for my last spring
> adult, but I did manage to record that none were present by 17 April:
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55097294
>
> And I am able to pull up the date of the late-June return of adults in at
> least one other year:
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S17210602
>
> [note to eBird: please enable sorting of checklists by Julian date!]
>
> A little sleuthing subsequently revealed that two of my colleagues beat me
> to it this year, documenting an adult Ring-bill at Cupsogue two days before
> my exciting find (though it required some follow-up work to obtain their
> photos and a definitive age):
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57623401
>
> Hypothesis: Ring-billed Gulls whose breeding efforts fail after early June
> [...]

*John L*

*You could not step twice into the same river.*

*Heraclitus of Ephesus*