I also get a lot of enjoyment out of observing details about the common
birds in my local neighborhood (though it helps that I've been moving to a
new local neighborhood every few years for the last decade or so!)

For everyone who wants another reason to explore "common" birds and
"normal" places, however, I'll put in a plug for the third NY breeding bird
atlas, which will get started with data collection next year:
https://ebird.org/atlasny/about

Since a big part of this project will involve collecting eBird checklists
with breeding codes all over the state, I suspect that many NY birders will
have many interesting places to explore during June in the next few years,
on the hunt for all of those breeding robins, mockingbirds, and sparrows,
etc. It makes sense to start looking forward to that now!

Wisconsin (where I grew up) is nearing completion of their latest breeding
bird atlas, which also used a special eBird portal to organize the data
collection. You can read all about the process on their main website here
<https://wsobirds.org/atlas>, and on the special eBird portal page, here
<https://ebird.org/atlaswi/home>, which has the atlas-specific map showing
all of the survey blocks. I'm not involved with the NY effort in any way,
so I don't know how much will be different in the approach, but I imagine
there will be similar resources ready ahead of next year's effort in this
state.

Anyway,
Happy "doldrums" birding!
Michael Schrimpf
Suffolk County

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-4119953374293423719_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>