This morning, the *Progne *was perched in a tree at the NW corner of
Prospect Park Lake with a dozen Tree Swallows and a single Northern
Rough-winged Swallow. It stayed perched in the tree, puffed up in the
sub-freezing temps, for several hours, only occasionally sallying out over
the lake before returning to its arboreal perches. It finally went out to
forage for the day around 11 AM.

>From what I gather, it was putting on an excellent show for much of mid day
around the cove at the SW corner of the lake, best viewed from the nearby
gazebo. Around 16:00, it relocated to the area between The Peninsula and
Duck Island (both labeled on Google Maps), and it was there through 17:30.
I am not aware of other sightings past this time, though it was getting
darker, cooler, and presumably less insect-heavy around the lake by that
time.

If it continues to follow today’s pattern, the NW shore of the lake, where
the sun first hits, closest to the park entrance at Prospect Park SW and
Vanderbilt Ave., would be the place to be early in the morning. It is
supposed to be not quite as cold as last night here, and we’re slated for
sun in the morning, so it should warm up more quickly than this morning.

The bird continued to strike me, and others, as smaller and shorter-winged
than a Purple Martin, perhaps bringing Gray-breasted Martin into play as
one of the more likely candidates.

Good Birding!
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.