How do birders in Brooklyn communicate with each other rapidly?  Whatsapp?
Twitter?

Bob Lewis

On Friday, April 2, 2021, 9:27:27 PM EDT, Doug Gochfeld <fresha2...@gmail.com>
wrote:

This morning, the Progne was perched in a tree at the NW corner of Prospect
Park Lake with a dozen Tree Swallows and a single Northern Rough-winged
Swallow. It stayed perched in the tree, puffed up in the sub-freezing temps,
for several hours, only occasionally sallying out over the lake before
returning to its arboreal perches. It finally went out to forage for the day
around 11 AM.

>From what I gather, it was putting on an excellent show for much of mid day
>around the cove at the SW corner of the lake, best viewed from the nearby
>gazebo. Around 16:00, it relocated to the area between The Peninsula and Duck
>Island (both labeled on Google Maps), and it was there through 17:30. I am not
>aware of other sightings past this time, though it was getting darker, cooler,
>and presumably less insect-heavy around the lake by that time.

If it continues to follow today’s pattern, the NW shore of the lake, where the
sun first hits, closest to the park entrance at Prospect Park SW and Vanderbilt
Ave., would be the place to be early in the morning. It is supposed to be not
quite as cold as last night here, and we’re slated for sun in the morning, so
it should warm up more quickly than this morning.

The bird continued to strike me, and others, as smaller and shorter-winged than
a Purple Martin, perhaps bringing Gray-breasted Martin into play as one of the
more likely candidates.

Good Birding!
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.

Welcome and Basics