On 7/21/06, Dennis Bekkering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am experiecing problems with mysql regarding connection time outs again.
This problem cannot be resolved by the pool settings provided or jdbc driver
settings such as autoReconnect (wich should not be used anyhow). Here is a
more detailed explaination about the problem (from tss). I could set
wait_timeout on mysql much longer but that is not a solution to the problem.

-------------
A new feature that I'd really like to see in DBCP 1.3 is a time-to-live for
Connections. In particular with MySQL, such a feature is very helpful,
because MySQL Connections can start showing strange behavior when the
underlying connection has been terminated and implicitly reconnected.

Note that such a setting should not regard whether the connection has been
active or idle: After the specified amount of time, it should be closed and
removed from the pool in any case.

A validation query doesn't help in the MySQL scenario: The driver will
automatically reconnect and successfully execute the query, but the
Connection still has a chance of remaining in an inconsistent state. This
won't happen on every reconnect, just on some.

Two connection pools that provide such a time-to-live are Resin's
("max-pool-time") and Proxool ("maximum-connection-lifetime"). We're using
the former now for MySQL. Unfortunately, Proxool doesn't provide a
bean-style DataSource yet... (but will do so in the upcoming 0.9 release).

Hmm, I'm not too sure why you need this behavior, but I think you
should definitely ask the DBCP guys over at the commons-user mailing
list.

Tom