On 10/14/14, 6:52 AM, Luc Gauvreau wrote:
> I'm in Canada. I know it's one of the reason, but I search a lot in
> Google Books, IArchives & All, and it's really not clear why digitalised
> copies of a book still available in one place or in an other.

Because those different sites are making different decisions.

Each site (IA, HathiTrust, Google) makes different decisions based on
what they perceive as their risk. Some of the decisions may be wrong for
some books, but it isn't feasible to make decisions on a book-by-book
basis. Note that HathiTrust is working to develop a true analysis of
whether books are in the public domain or not. Many books published in
the US between 1923 and about 1960 are actually in the public domain if
they were not renewed with the US copyright office.

The best 'algorithm' for public domain (which assumes that you have all
of the pertinent information -- which isn't hardly ever the case) is
this chart by Peter Hirtle (US law only):

https://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

This gives you an idea of how complex it is.

> In DPLA, for a book outside US, the limits of the public domain is 1873!?
>
> 150 years! I don't know why and how they choose this date, but it's far,
> far away from 2014-2015...

The 150 years is a presumed "life (actually, death date) of the author
plus 70 years" which is the Berne Convention rule. The US did not sign
the Berne convention until the 1980's, so our rules for items published
prior to that time are different.

kc

> Luc Gauvreau (Montréal)

> <mailto:kco...@kcoyle.net>>:
>
>     I do get to a downloadable PDF. This is probably a question of
>     jurisdiction, as the rules for public domain are different in different
>     countries. I'm in the US -- where are you located?
>
>     kc
>
>     On 10/14/14, 6:12 AM, Laurence Penney wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > Any idea what’s going on with this book? (I’ve seen it with
>     others too.)
>      >
>      > https://archive.org/details/londoninillustr00frygoog
>      >
>      > The PDF link takes me to the book’s page on Google Books, but
>     there I see “No eBook available”.
>      >
>      > I wonder if the PDFs were archived separately, and if so, whether
>     the Internet Archive might choose to make them available again
>     independently of Google.
>      >
>      > - L
>      >
>     <mailto:Ol-discuss@archive.org>
>      > Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/ol-discuss@archive.org/
>      > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send email to
>     ol-discuss-unsubscr...@archive.org
>     <mailto:ol-discuss-unsubscr...@archive.org>
>      >

>     --
>     Karen Coyle
>     kco...@kcoyle.net <mailto:kco...@kcoyle.net> http://kcoyle.net
>     m: 1-510-435-8234 <tel:1-510-435-8234>
>     skype: kcoylenet/+1-510-984-3600 <tel:%2B1-510-984-3600>

Karen Coyle