Marty,

That response from Quaker/Shell/Pennzoil is shameful. It doesn't address the
technicalities at all.

Wear is wear. It doesn't matter if one is driving at 10 MPH or 100 MPH. Wear
still occurs. What these jamokes failed to explain is the ***reason*** for
the zinc and phosphorus additives and the different metals in the engine
that either require it or don't require it. These jamokes just want to sell
oil and admit nothing.

Modern engines with roller cams and lifters have the cams and lifters made
from finely machined billet alloy steel. The surface finish is very tight
with literally no porosity. Our older engines use cast iron alloy billet
cams and lifters. Even though the machined surfaces might look very bright
and smooth, microscopically the surfaces are quite porous. The zinc and
phosphorous provide lubrication that sticks to those pores and gives a
sacrificial coating to the contact surfaces. That leads to very long life,
when the proper break-in procedure is used. Alloy steel billet cams and
lifters, whether they are roller or flat tappet (special racing cams), do
not need zinc and phosphorous for anything. The lubricating oil is
sufficient.

This crap about weekend driving, stop-and-go driving, racing use, is just
that, crap. The determining factor is whether or not the engine in question
has a cast iron cam and lifters or a steel cam and lifters. Nothing else.
Many pro racers using alloy steel cams and lifters run aviation oil, such as
Shell Aeroshell W100 50 weight. Aviation oil has zero zinc and phosphorous,
for aviation reciprocating engines use silver bearings and alloy steel cams
and lifters. Zinc and phosphorous will destroy silver bearings. The pro
racers like the extremely intensive detergent package in aviation oil.
That's why they use it, and they aren't concerned about their alloy steel
cams and lifters.

As to what oil to use in our older engines, I've had to drop the Kendall
GT-1 Racing Oil that I've been using since 1964. The zinc and phosphorous
content was lowered. Kendall is no longer serious about racing. I am
switching to Pennzoil Racing 20/50 dino oil. Mobil 1 20/50 has just as much
zinc and phosphorous as Pennzoil Racing Oil. Shell Rotello, in both straight
weights and 15/40, have that high level of zinc and phosphorous, due to the
lubrication required for the piston wrist pins and the internals of the fuel
injection pump of all Diesels. If the new emission controls and cats for new
Diesels require the zinc and phosphorous to be lowered in Diesel oils, then
the materials for the pistons pins and their bosses and the internals of the
fuel injection pumps will need to be changed, or wear failures will occur.

Milton Schick
1964 442 Cutlass
[EMAIL PROTECTED]