On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Jeff Blaine wrote:

* There is a bug in Windows that will prevent
 access to \\AFS after an IP address has
 been removed or assigned after boot.  When
 the bug is triggered, all attempts to connect
 to \\AFS will result in a "Bad Network Name"
 error.  Please reproduce this issue locally
 and submit bug reports to Microsoft. .............. below
"""

For what it's worth, we now have two examples of "Windows 7 Enterprise" (32-bit) systems which seem to have no problem at all accessing AFS after an address change (typically 2 minutes needed to re-establish access after a change). We also have one example of "Windows 7 Professional" which clearly follows the pattern described above.

From the published descriptions of differences between different versions
on Windows 7, I could believe that the virtualization features of Enterprise might be responsible for the difference. From the description, it seems that "Ultimate" stands a chance of working too, but I've got no Ultimate system to test on.
My guess is that all the home editions would also fail as above.

I also discovered that on Ultimate laptops using only secure wireless connections, this is a complete show stopper, since they boot with no network, and transition to a real address only after login and wireless authentication, and the loopback adaptor comes 'pre-hosed' to the login session.

Richard
--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                   Kiewit Computing Services, 6224 Baker/Berry Library