I have Windows 7 Ultimate on the desktop machine here.

With no changes:

AFS works fine at startup. If I create a VPN (Microsoft software) to an
adjacent Server 2008 machine, AFS fails. If I disconnect the VPN, AFS works
again (no reboot). This is repeatable.

If I check the two Link-layer Topology boxes on the loopback adaptor properties
box and reboot, I get:

AFS works fine at startup. Create a VPN to Server machine, AFS fails. Wait 3-4
minutes, AFS starts working again.

I have not had anyone verify this yet. I've observed the same on another
Windows 7 virtual machine but I don't remember what flavor of Windows 7 it was.

Mickey.