(pan in, whirring fan... visual dissolve slow to bottle of whisky and empty
shot glass... visual effect wipeleft fast... beared grizzled thin ugly (oh kay
i have faults) vet half passed out on bed

on Saigon
put "Oh god, i am still in paris."
ask "do you care" with "Yes" or "NO"
if it is "NO" then put "I'm not surprised."
end saigon

STACKS ON THE WEB...

Ok, i read the browser configuration idea and it sounds really cool except for
one thing, most people are dumb which is why we use point and click technology
(yes, chimpanzees could be trained to use the internet. Scary?)

So when i saw the stacks online i was impressed.
Unfortunately I did not follow/see/understand the technical details.

Are they scripted entirely in js? Partly? Not at all?
Are they exported from HC?

I am curious about the mechanics because - barring further paralytic attacks
and really yesterday was without doubt the most paralyzed i've ever seen the
net (I AM AMAZED THAT MY BROWSER HAS NOT YET CRASHED AND MUST APOLOGIZE TO THE
GREAT SYSOP GOD IN THE ETHERNET...) -
i do think that the future of hypermedia is on the internet.

I think eventually we _could see metaTalk or an xTalk derivative as a serious
competitor for JS:
1) From what I hear JS has a lousy rep
2) xTalk is no more complex than BASIC
- and thus is a potential mass market.

Speaking of which I have started to look at visual basic and am rather
unimpressed. What a complex way to work. As in 'lets design a bunch of
commands, call them methods, and routines, and call them some other arcane
term, put it behind a graphic interface that LOOKS astonishing but is in fact
void of real content and then say "Hey everybody, compiled basic!"
Oh yeah, don't forget to add aracanology like required declarations (BASIC as
I was taught nicely had 2 standard variables - string and integer though
certain dialects probably got more complex...)

Any way I am definitely NOT going to buy Visual Basic because it is NOT more
simple than any other dialect.

That said, the more I get into it the more similarities i see between it and
our favorite descendant of Pascal... (which i am dabbling in because well i
have to program with what i have not what i want... i have lots of 'vintage'
software because well its all i can afford. I do not have MPW because I cannot
download to the Universities IBMs and then tranfer 20 DISKETTES to my
unaccellerated 68030)

Well will a dialect of xTalk ever get real arrays? There is an XCMD out there
and I know MT allows associative arrays (whatever that is)
but i would like to have a nice array as a standard feature. I do not think
that is much to ask for. Is it?

(wow - machine _still hasn't crashed. How nice ! )

(MORE FOLLOWS IM PARANODI)