On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Hauser, Wolfgang (external)
<wolfgang.hauser.exter...@eads.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't wanted to initiate heavy changes, for my experience: "Don't
> change a running system".
>
> I just asked for a simple way to use my preferred version for specific
> packages.
>
> As I understand OE, it should be possible to use the main repository
> with some view personal changes to get the image I need.
> If I have to change distro and machine configurations and hold them in
> my overlay, I can't use improvements of the main repository w/o heavy
> changes in my own overlay.
>
> For my opinion, a DISTRO only should be a recommendation for a set of
> working peaces and not a "you have to use it" dictation.
> There may be individual requirements a DISTRO never will be able to
> cover.

well. if you want so many changes to an existing distro then something is wrong
with your distro choice. Few changes can be covered as it should be.

if local overrides are given so much weight than wait for people
asking weird questions and forgetting that they had a change in
local.conf. It has happened
to me and can happen to anybody. The overrides show problems in very subtle
ways sometimes. I think collectively bringing sanity into distros is a
good approach
and few exceptions can be done using local overrides.

I am not in favor of abusing distro's which is what is likely with
such an approach.