On 2007-10-05, Denny Schierz wrote:
> for accounts, which not exist unix users, have to be in the
> virtual_mailbox_domains and not in virtual_alias_domains, which is the
> case on openmailadmin.
>
> so, why was choosen virtual_alias_domains and not virtual_mailbox_domains?
>
> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

Good question. Honestly spoken, I don't know. The evaluation order is different,
but I don't see any spectacular usage for this other than having a domain
remapped to another (which I usually do by utilizing virtual_maps).

As far as the reference configuration provided with OMA is concerned both will
work. (tested, works)

The best explanation I could find withing thirty minutes is [1] (German).

Jaume Sabater wrote:

> [Fun with Cyrus-IMAPd's virtual domains - stripped; Anm. Mark]
>
> Mark will be able to tell you more about it as, to be honest, this is
> a concept that, after talking to Mark privately, never completely
> understood. Say Mark decided to do it this way also because of the
> type of business needs he had, in which he did not actually need
> virtual mailboxes.

No need to confuse this issue. Let us forget about Cyrus for now.

And Jaume, should we ever meet for a apple cider or two: you won't be allowed to
leave until you fully understand that other programs virtual domains -
alternatively you will may buy off yourself by memorizing all my emails
(even/especially the German ones) about the omitted topic.

-- W-Mark Kubacki
[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-de/2006-12/msg00128.html